Elder and Kids

Elder and Kids

Monday, August 24, 2015

It Gets Us Out Of Our Comfort Zones

Another week has come and gone!

 As of this past Saturday I have been out for a month. It is crazy how fast it has gone by!  This week flewwwwwww by. What helps is that we have a good amount of people to teach. One girl, Mary, who is 17 has committed to baptism at the end of September. When we met with her earlier this week she asked to postpone it because of her mom, but we met with her parents later in the week and we are good to go.  Mary was sooo happy, but was hesitant when I told her Elder Hanson and I can talk to her parents and answer questions. 

On Thursday I went on my first exchange with Elder Pohahau. I went to his area for the exchange. Thursday night I didnt get any sleep for some reason, so when we got up on Friday I was suuupperrrrr tired.  Friday went by so slow.  Their area is not busy like ours, but Elder P bought me my first African tie. The best part of the day was having my first coconut, which at home it didn't taste good to me. The water was SO GOOD!  The coconut stuff was super good too. Being in Kuakema made me more thankful for my apartment and area in general :P  So, I was happy when I went back to Sekondi Friday night. 

Elder Hanson and I came up with a fun (ish) game for talking to people on the street. On the way to lessons, he picks someone for us to go talk to and then I have to take the lead in the conversation. Then we switch.  It gets us out of our comfort zones.  It gave us some more appointments so far. This Saturday we have 2 baptisms!  It was supposed to be 4 people, but the other 2 have been "traveling" as they say here for the past week.  And there is too much that we still have to teach them so we moved it back a couple weeks to teach them what they need to know. 

Ghana people LOVE when white people speak Fante. I've been writing down words since I have gotten here and studying in a book they gave us.  So, now I can have a small conversation with them to see how they are doing.  My favorite is when the kids are yelling "Obrunee chingum fow" (gum on our rear ends). You put your hand up and say "Mempooasum."  I wont tell you what it means because you will think its mean, but the kids laugh and run away as soon as you say it.

Elder Hanson and the other Elder Johnson LOVE Disneyland. Elder Hanson has a map of the park, They spent 3 hours after church yesterday talking about it.  From what I have heard they are adding a star wars land? I  dont know... but they are excited.  I have multiple videos of them arguing about Disneyland stuff.  It's quite funny.  Our activity for today was going to the beach.  It was aaawwwessommeeee.  We played rugby and stood in the waves. A few of us almost jumped in and swam back to America.



The Pose
Elder Johnson and I bought a cheese burger and fries for lunch, which you can't get anywhere else. It was expensive, but worth it because I live off of bread and bananas.  My cooking skills will get better sooner or later. hahaha.

Expensive but worth it
The Elders Johnson - Intimidation Factor
A moment of missing American desserts!

Would love to hear from you all as usual!
'til next week 

Elder Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment