Elder and Kids

Elder and Kids

Monday, May 16, 2016

Nkanfoa

Hello all!!!

For the first time on my mission I have fast internet connection because we use the computers in the office, and do not have to pay money to use the computers  #WINNING

Patriarch.. He wrote Spencer W. Kimball and pretty much brought the church to Ghana.


I was the only one from the Fosu squad leaving... -_-


So my new area is flippin sweet!  The name of the area is Nkanfoa.  My #5 companion is Elder Harward from West valley, Utah.  Too many people from Utah in this mission and only 3 from Colorado  -_-  Elder Harward came the month before me to Ghana.  That makes 3 of my companions being from his MTC group #WHATAWOW #KUMKUMBAGYA.  He has been in this area since January so we may only serve together for 6 weeks but we are praying that we will serve together longer because we clicked really well from the start.


My companion (Elder Harward) and I looking good

Some of my old investigators.. not old as in age but old as in my last area


Cape Coast is a lot bigger and busier then Assin Fosu, which is a shock to the system for me. Thankfully we are 10 minutes outside of Cape Coast and only drive into Cape Coast on Tuesday and Friday to buy supplies and get the mail. BTW when I came to this area I thought that I would be in the office everyday then go and teach at nights buuutttttt that is the Office and Financial Secretaries (Elder Reyes/Jager, Elder Griffin).  Elder Harward and I go out everyday except Tuesday and Friday so we can fill supply orders and get these Dear John letters out to them missionaries!


The mission office

More old investigators.. not old as in age but old as in my last area


Elder Harward and I will be working really hard to find more people to teach. The area is kind of dead right now due to some reasons that will not be made known... but the area has a lot of potential and I am excited to be apart of the work in Nkonfoa.  Side note... the chapel is not a normal chapel, it's a small concrete 2 story building.  We will be going to the Bishop's house tonight to talk with him on how we can build the ward even more.


Elder Harward worked so hard he fell asleep on the floor...

Brother Ofori (2nd counselor on the left... Brother Kelley on the right (2nd counselor) sadly the Bishop had work things so he could not be at church


The kind of cool story of the week:  Elder Harward thankfully has a list (I love list's) of the ward members with the less actives marked.  There are PLENTY of less actives in the ward so we will be working with them for sure.  One less active is Brother Hanson, whom is a old pioneer of the church here in Ghana.  Late last year he was fired from a job that had to do with the church, and he took it the wrong way.  He has not been to church since that time because he is angry with those that fired him.  Since Wednesday we have gone by his house (wood shack.. but house) and leave pamphlets in his door.  On Saturday he rode up to me and the ward mission leader (Elder Harward was on the phone) and got soooo mad at me saying "the pamphlets are for investigators and I am not an investigator, I am a High Priest and I have plenty of books!"....along with other rude things.  He just rode away without letting me speak.  Since my companion and I fear no man we went back to his house yesterday after church so we could give him a pamphlet that the church just sent out.  This time he was outside.  I started speaking and he ignored me like we were not there.  That went on for sometime and then, while Elder Harward was talking, he looked up and got SUPER angry with us. He told us the same things like the day before.  What really hurt my companion and I is when he said he wants to go to hell, not the celestial kingdom and it's not our problem.  More things were said, but it really just blew my mind on how an endowed member can just turn like that.


A bamboo tree

I am alive. Breathing. Getting fat. The usual.
PS.. I get to drive for the first time today in 10 months.. wish me luck!

Love you all,

Elder Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment