Elder and Kids

Elder and Kids

Sunday, January 3, 2016

And "It" Happened.....

Afe nhyia paa!  Happy almost New Year!!!

It is so crazy that 2015 is almost over already. This time last year I was celebrating the fact that I will be graduating soon. Now 2015 is over :( at the same time :)

It is very foggy in the mornings and I love it!!
This past week was pretty good. Not many things that are too interesting for you to know happened...
On Thursday night we attended something the stake does called "Carols night."  We all got together and certain people got up and read scriptures pertaining to Jesus Christ. It was great from the parts that actually were in English. Something here that I am still not used to is the lack of communication. The Elders had to get up and sing 3 different times... it would have been great to know ahead of time but we still all sounded good ( I hope).

After we got back to the apartment we opened our packages from family and friends. A benefit of being away from home on Christmas is we don't have to wait to open gifts. I had a package from my parents that had some comforts from home inside. As well as a soccer jersey that I got to wear on Friday.

On Christmas morning we got together as a zone for a nice game of soccer.  It was Elders vs. men from the stake. The game went well after I figured out what I was supposed to do! They are very serious about their soccer here. Hopefully I can improve in soccer while I am out here. The stake president had 20 of us over for lunch after games. He fed us chicken and rice.


Post soccer game - Elders Johnson and Swatbooi

The soccer squad

That evening I was able to call and talk to my family!!!!  I am surprised at how well the phone call worked from 7,000 miles away.  It was a great phone call :)

When I came on my mission, the last thing I wanted to happen was for me to get sick. I have been out over 5 months and it finally happened to me. An investigator of ours kindly fed us on Christmas day. She fed us fufu with light soup. When we got the soup it was really cold, not a concern to people back home, but to us here it is a very big concern. Well, Saturday at 3 am it hit both my companion and I.  From 3am- 8am I was running to the restroom every 20-30 minutes.  So, Saturday not much happened. We got up pretty late and had to go to a baptism for the sister missionaries. Elder Swartbooi and I both felt like we were about to die. After the baptism we went to sleep around 1 and got up at 7pm. Our stomachs still do not feel fully right. We had a fufu yesterday and again today at the Stake President's house. Fufu is not enjoyable to eat now.

On a positive note, we had a baptism yesterday. His name is Edward and the missionaries have been teaching him for a couple months now. Really funny kid and very smart. He is the only member of the church in his family. And his parents are fully ok with him attending the church with us. Hopefully Edward's mom and dad attend with him at some future time!!!

Elder Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment