Elder and Kids

Elder and Kids

Monday, April 4, 2016

A Week Of Miracles

Wo ho t3 s3n??

The fact that it is already April really actually creeps me out. At the beginning of my mission the first month or so was a mental struggle just thinking about the time left.  Everyday for the first month I would say to myself,  "Once I am 6 months on my mission, everything will be okay."  I got over home faster than 6 months, but the point of this is that 6 months felt like NOTHING. When January came it was not a big deal at all. Now it is April and I want time to freeze!  The only good thing is that my birthday is close :)


Farming with Gladys' family

This past week could be looked at as bad, but for my companion and I we have seen it as a week of miracles. The first bad thing is that my companion had no money and I had 7 cedis for the week (one meal is usually 2.00 cedi).  We were not able to get our snacks during the day or have fancy meals but we were filled when we went to bed at night.  Most of the week we survived on nothing but rice and Bonku. And we had meals from investigators and members almost everyday which never really happens. God watches out for us!!!!

Second bad thing, was the lack of lessons we were able to have. Tuesday- Friday we had one lesson a day.  Usually it is way more, but we were not able to have translators with us during the day. Personally I was a little irritated at the ward missionaries.  I am grateful that I have this great time to be here in Ghana and serve, but sometimes it can weigh on me a little because things are new and still need some fixing. What my companion and I are trying to work on is member involvement. With that and others things it can weigh on us at times. Missions are hard, but do not get me wrong - I LOVE WHERE I SERVE!!! GHANA CAPE COAST MISSION IS #1

Though there was a lack of lessons, we were able to seek out more service opportunities. On Friday, Elder Maumau and I went and sat on a bench to talk to some of the kids at school (kids love us here). A lady was finishing up selling the kids bread and butter for lunch (never complain about school lunch again) and I saw she had plenty of dishes to wash (in a bucket). I felt prompted to help her wash and she let me do them for her. Usually they say no because we are in church dress. Funny thing is Elder Maumau was playing soccer with the kids and the sole of his shoe tore off, so we had to go to the apartment and change his shoes.

We arranged on Wednesday to help a less active, Francis, with doing brick work for his house on Saturday.  Both Elder Maumau and I were excited to do some manual labor, but we called Saturday annndddd of course he turned out not to be working Saturday. So, we went out at the usual time and went to see Gladys (a less active, 18 yr old) and her family.  At the end of our message to them we asked if they needed help with anything.  Her younger sister and mom both said in Twi they wanted us to go farm with them.  We were EXCITED.  We ran to the apartment changed our clothes and walked the 45 minutes to their farm (random stop in the "jungle").  Farming in Ghana involves using a machete to weed.  When we were walking the trails into the farm we had to cut things down to get through.  Just like the movies!!!




Best thing of the week is that we got to watch some of General Conference in the evening at the chapel with some district members and a couple members.  My companion and I saw the last talk of the morning session and the whole afternoon session.  Sadly, I did not bring my notebook to watch conference because we heard they were broadcasting it one hour into the morning session. It was good, but last conference was better because I had a notebook. Thankfully we will see the sessions again on the 24th.

Best thing today---- MONEY DAY

The network stinks and the computer is really slow so that is all for now folks!!

Elder Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment