Elder and Kids

Elder and Kids

Tuesday, April 12, 2016

What Can We Do Better Instead of Complaining About the Situation?

Aygo!

Another Tuesday email.  Electricity was off in the town all day yesterday then the generator went off in the cafe and they did not want to get more gas #Ghanaprobs #Doomsoabaa

This past week was pretty good!!!  Really busy here in the Telecom zone in Assin Fosu, Ghana.  Once again I will comment how grateful I am to have the time to serve here in Ghana.  Like all missions in the world they each have their pro's and con's.  The only con to Ghana Cape Coast mission (more pros then cons because Ghana is sweet paaaa) is that since we do not speak the language quite so fluently we need a translator most of the time in this specific area.  Our ward missionaries that help us are awesome for coming with us and using their time to help serve our Heavenly Father to build up the kingdom of God.  But some weeks it seems that each of them are busy and can not go with us, so that leaves us with not much to do.  Last week was one of those weeks:( !!!

An important lesson I have learned that applies to this situation of no translators is look at yourself and the companionship, and see what we can do better instead of complaining about the situation.  So when we had no one to go out with us, we used it as time to see some members of the ward to build relationships with them further, and maybe get some people other than ward missionaries to come out with us. With an added bonus, today in District meeting we were reminded how to have an effective companionship study.  Our new Zone leader, Elder Okwii (Uganda) read some from "Preach my Gospel" and it says that if we have an effective companionship study we should not be asking each other throughout the day, "What should we do now?"  At that moment Elder Maumau and I looked at each other because we are guilty of that.

After 9 months on my mission I had to eat CAT meat. Yes.. yes... I know " That's gross" but actually it tasted pretty good. On Wednesday we passed by Comfort (recent convert) and Andrews compound in the evening to see how they are doing. When we got there, we found Andrews in the bamboo/ mud made building for a "kitchen."  He was burning the hair off the cat.  Elder Maumau wanted to watch.. I kind of stuck back.  Then Andrews came out and we watched him gut the cat. Pretty sweet I know ;) When he was finished he invited us to come Thursday evening to have some cat.

Update on Comforts husband Andrews.. nothing.  We are still talking with him.  There has been progress made for sure and I am grateful that President gave me more time in this area.  Right now we have 2 couples - one is baptized one is not.  The other is Constance and her husband, Charles. Constance was recently baptized and Charles has a strong desire to be baptized.  All I can see is both couples going through the temple together.  Hopefully after my interview with President Stevenson on Thursday he will let me stay for more time. Or at least in the same zone since they want to expand us to more areas.  We will find out on May 7th!!!

This past week we also have a new investigator named Georgina.  She is 70 years old!!!  Very, very nice lady.  She came to church and that is how we met her.  Georgina told us she has wanted to come for a long time, but where she was before was not close to her compound.

On Saturday we did some service for a man in our ward (Francis).  He has been building a place to stay for his sisters when they get older.  Problem is that the foundation was not prepared before he did it.  So after begging, he let us help him.  Still in the process of taking hills of dirt out of the rooms. Francis told us at the end that he did not think we could do so well.  Elder Maumau and I killed it.  My hands are dead as well haha.  I find I am most happy when I have done some manual labor on the mission.. weird.  Going back tomorrow to continue :)


The entire "house". We were working the third room from the left. Still have to finish plus the rooms.
King of the hill. That's what it looked like after some time of us working.. the mound went to the door frame. Used pick axes and shovels!!!

Small small thought:  Last Monday I bought a pocket sized notebook at the market.  And I have to say it is the best 1 cedi I have spent.  In this notebook I write down spiritual promptings and experiences that are happening.  It is quite amazing how many happen in a week!!!  Really is helping me recognize the spirit in my life which was a struggle.  But the notebook RULES!!!!

Elder Rothlisberger says hi.

Elder Rothlisberger's mom sent him some syrup ( YYEESSS) so we decided yesterday to use our skills and make french toast

Love all of you
Elder Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment